If you are new to the healthy eating arena, welcome! The best piece of advice I can give you right now is to prepare! Whether that means making your food ahead of time or making sure you have appropriate snacks in the pantry for when those midnight/afternoon cravings come.
One thing that makes this process easier is Tupperware. I picked up a variety pack at Walmart a few years ago when I moved away to school and they have been put to good use ever since! Right now is the perfect time to shop Tupperware because back to school sales are in session so you should luck out with a pretty good deal. Make sure it comes with mini Tupperware! I like to use mine to pack a serving size (2 Tbsp) of hummus, nut butter, or salad dressing to-go.
Beachbound Snack Breakdown:
- Bai Antioxidant Infusion (Pomegranate). I love these drinks because they are light, low in carbs and sugars, and contain a natural source of caffeine.
- Clementine for an extra boost of vitamin C and refreshing on a hot summer day.
- 2 Tbsp Everything Hummus with carrots and sugar snap peas.
- Gluten-free pretzels to munch on or dip in hummus.
Lunch was in the blue container under my snacks containing:
- Quinoa (1/2 c)
- Avocado (1/4)
- A handful of cherry tomatoes
- Spinach and a sprinkle of light, Italian dressing.
Snacks are an important part of staying full throughout the day to avoid over-consumption at mealtime. For me, snacks are twice as important because I have hypoglycemia; which means if I don’t eat regularly, my blood sugar levels drop and I pass out. Having said that, I tend to eat every couple hours! I actually prefer small meals and snacks throughout the day compared to three, large meals a day. I would have been starving if a salad was all I packed, but as long as you pack quality snacks, quantity is a good thing to keep your metabolism running.
- 1/4 nuts or 2 Tbsp nut butter (healthy fats)
- Hummus/Bean dip (helps kick hunger cravings by balancing blood sugar)
- Fruit: Bananas, apples, blueberries, oranges/clementines…etc. (good source of morning energy and antioxidants)
- Veggies: Carrots, celery, snap peas, tomatoes, peppers…etc. (high in fiber which fills you up and keeps you regular)
- Boom Chicka Popcorn Sweet & Salty Kettle Corn (satisfies your salty and sweet tooth!)
- Rice cakes or Glutino pretzels (great to combo with dips/nut butters)
- Plant-based protein bars (always a staple item in my pantry)
Snack Combo Ideas:
- Rice Cakes + 2 Tbsp nut butter + Banana (add cinnamon & honey for an extra boost!)
- Rice cakes + Avocado + Spinach + Tomato slice (add salt & pepper to taste)
- Mixed veggies + 2 Tbsp Hummus
- GF Pretzels + Bean dip
The possibilities are endless! Just remember, the “munchies” are not the culprit to a healthy lifestyle, it’s the choices that the muncher makes.